Discussion Forum for trading analysis, help, signals and trading

Discussion Forum for trading analysis, help, signals and learning how to trade. Chat with other traders , post analysis, trades and ask questions. This is the public part of my website. For more in-depth discussions please consider joining to chat with other members

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

14th December 2017

Todays market discussion

Todays post here

Just got out with -7 quid from yesterday’s start. All yesterday is wasted on long. Of course upset to bits, I had to give up 31 profits for this close. No more chances. It may or may not. I should have closed on 13130 (b/e then) yesterday after Fomc but hesitated.

The smaller the loss the faster to recover. But how to overcome this bitterness?

Broke yesterdays shooting star low so CM out of FTSE for 1% gain and as Carney will undoubtedly talk up the pound later on not interested in buying FTSE today. Also closed gold position for small profit for same reason. Will buy both again when GBP turns on 4 hr or daily.

I'm in long now from 7478.. pulled back to 7470s support and this has mainly been a dollar weakening move on the fed dovish hike. Expecting Sterling and the euro to give some back after today's central bank meetings. The market is in drift up mode now until Xmas so the dips will probably be shallow. 7540 is where I'm looking to get out and probably start thinking about shorting this big for January

Just got scared and got out with +10 from 13086 when it pulled back a bit. Losing my confidence again. Just about got it back. I don't know why I got out, should have held. But at least won my 7 back.

40 long temp

That proves me again you can win small loss fast.

Quote from Mcgcapital on 14th December 2017, 10:50 am

I'm in long now from 7478.. pulled back to 7470s support and this has mainly been a dollar weakening move on the fed dovish hike. Expecting Sterling and the euro to give some back after today's central bank meetings. The market is in drift up mode now until Xmas so the dips will probably be shallow. 7540 is where I'm looking to get out and probably start thinking about shorting this big for January

Brave. Very brave. Expect a dip down to 7440 today.

Quote from Jack 2 on 14th December 2017, 11:20 am

Just got scared and got out with +10 from 13086 when it pulled back a bit. Losing my confidence again. Just about got it back. I don't know why I got out, should have held. But at least won my 7 back.

40 long temp

Clearly a lot of nerves going into this meeeting. Ideally for bulls it would form a hammer on the daily as that could then set up a break of 13200. Last week it was clear (in hindsight) that they were waiting for the EU deal to reallocate to U.K. equities.. once ECB uncertainty is done the Dax could rally

Quote from Candlemaster on 14th December 2017, 11:45 am
Quote from Mcgcapital on 14th December 2017, 10:50 am

Brave. Very brave. Expect a dip down to 7440 today.

Depends on Sterling I guess.. if they talk it back up to $1.35 then yeah maybe could see 7440. As I said yesterday, I had it step stairing higher.. 7360-7395-7370-7415-7390-7430-7410-7450-7425-7475-7450-7500-7470-7510-.. 7470 area is support for the short term uptrend so worth a buy to me. We've already managed to digest a 140 cent move against the dollar since yesterday morning and given back only 25 points so there doesn't feel like there's much selling pressure

Quote from Mcgcapital on 14th December 2017, 11:47 am
Quote from Jack 2 on 14th December 2017, 11:20 am

40 long temp

Clearly a lot of nerves going into this meeeting. Ideally for bulls it would form a hammer on the daily as that could then set up a break of 13200. Last week it was clear (in hindsight) that they were waiting for the EU deal to reallocate to U.K. equities.. once ECB uncertainty is done the Dax could rally

I hope Dax will rally next week. For now I see there's a lot of selling pressure so rallies will be short lived before it breaks a sloping trend line and forms the base for return. Yesterday we were still above 200EMA on some charts and it was clinging to it until it broke down so I was long as we were just about above 200EMA, I thought it would take off upwards. I know how it is hard to get above 200EMA, it's not normally easy. It takes lots of efforts from bulls. So obviousely my long is closed and added another 15 to my collection.

@ Capital

True, FTSE has been resilient in the face of sterling strength, which bounced off major 1.33 support.

But why fight the pound? I imagine there will be better buying opp next week.

Quote from Candlemaster on 14th December 2017, 12:10 pm

@ Capital

True, FTSE has been resilient in the face of sterling strength, which bounced off major 1.33 support.

But why fight the pound? I imagine there will be better buying opp next week.

I think Sterling goes back to $1.45-50 given enough time (which is partly why I think FTSE might struggle to break 7600). However, if it was going to break out short term I would have thought it would have come on the EU deal last week. In terms of Carney, I think he really wanted to reverse last year's cut which was hasty and he's done that now.. further rises will be data dependent and can't see them raising again any time soon. After this week there are 8 days left this year and not much newsflow left apart from the US tax vote which looks a foregone conclusion. Expecting the daily moves to dry up completely and for us to add 10 points or so a day. If Jan is going to be down then last couple of days there should be some profit taking. If there is a better opportunity coming we should know in the next couple of hours

Hi Nick , I recall you saying you brought litecoin? Can I ask what wallet did you go for and is it easy to set up, also which platform did you purchase the coin from ..again any good? There’s so many out there and so many scams going on, want to invest but don’t know where to start- any advice would be fab. Thanks.

Short 13056 to 13021 complete. I managed to wait for the break of 37 although it went to 63 first. Small stakes - steady gains. I just think sometimes what if I didn't close my yesterday's trade in the morning I would be in the right mess right now.

Quote from Jack 2 on 14th December 2017, 1:39 pm

Short 13056 to 13021 complete. I managed to wait for the break of 37 although it went to 63 first. Small stakes - steady gains. I just think sometimes what if I didn't close my yesterday's trade in the morning I would be in the right mess right now.

I'm tempted to throw a low stakes long on it here as think it goes up after draghi and it's oversold on the hourly

Centeal banks not pulling the rug from under stocks so want to buy but not just yet. See whag hapoens with dollar later which has failed to bounce after its plunge.

Quote from 2wat on 14th December 2017, 1:29 pm

Hi Nick , I recall you saying you brought litecoin? Can I ask what wallet did you go for and is it easy to set up, also which platform did you purchase the coin from ..again any good? There’s so many out there and so many scams going on, want to invest but don’t know where to start- any advice would be fab. Thanks.

Hi, I bought it via an app called revolut - basically its  bank account but also allow you to hold crypto - BTC, LTC and Ether. http://www.revolut.com

Was very easy to set up, bought the LTC instantly as soon as transferred money into the account.

Quote from Mcgcapital on 14th December 2017, 1:51 pm
Quote from Jack 2 on 14th December 2017, 1:39 pm

I'm tempted to throw a low stakes long on it here as think it goes up after draghi and it's oversold on the hourly

Mcg, I do feel that was the last push for 13010, I was cautiosely short because of that and was out at 21 to be safe. It may easily go another 100 points down but hopefully not and it will start rising from this green line. I would have gone long from 13010 but prefer to go by my strategy for now to see if it works. And it worked all morning thank God. Even my stop loss which was triggered from 51 at 63.7 (I should have had it higher at 66-67 cos it only gone above 1 point but that is something for me to learn) didn't discourage me to enter again at 56 short for 25 points with double previous stake. I decided just to test my strategy that's all and out emotions.

Interesting how the calendar falls this year as there are only 3 trading days after 22nd December. Tax legislation passed around then too. Would seem to fit well with another week of rally then correction beginning last couple of days of the year. The way I see it, if I was short I'd be getting frustrated it won't go down.. as I'm long ideally I'd like to see it rally sooner rather than later. But it's probably going to be slow progress and steady drift higher for the next week. So not too much interest in actively trading it, looking to just hold

Hammer on the Dax coming

I agree, just a hold now for the next fortnight.

All in long FTSE 7478.

Lol well that didn't go to plan.. support at 70 gave way so got stopped. Having another go off 7450 hourly support with RSI near 30. Opex tomorrow. You'd think the downside would be limited but would rather maintain risk managment and risk missing out than end up holding junk

Thanks Nick .

Thanks Nick .

Quote from Nick on 14th December 2017, 2:13 pm
Quote from 2wat on 14th December 2017, 1:29 pm

Hi, I bought it via an app called revolut - basically its  bank account but also allow you to hold crypto - BTC, LTC and Ether. http://www.revolut.com

Was very easy to set up, bought the LTC instantly as soon as transferred money into the account.

Thankyou